Sunday, March 2, 2008

Look, it's that there Virginia Skeptor!



Haley here, blogging from the home base in good old Hickory Flat, Georgia!


It's nice to know that no matter how old I get or where I go, I can always come home for a few good ego-blows. Today I've learned that my makeup isn't a good shade and that if I'm not hungry, I shouldn't eat--a jab at my figure that was masterfully subtle in its obviousness. Good form. Nice technique.


It's cool though, I think the mom and pops are going to let me take out a Parental Bank loan for Bonnaroo tickets--even though when asked, "What about drugs, alcohol, and debauchery?" my only answer was, "Well...it's a music festival." Poor form. Bad technique. But it's looking like I may get to go anyway! Then I can blog some lovely concert reviews and everyone will be happy. Because I know our 3.9 million readers will be just itching to know what we thought about it!


Speaking of concerts, I had the pleasure of witnessing Her Utter Amazingness Regina Spektor at the Tabernacle Friday night. This pleasure came only after an hour of driving a mini-van in circles, alone and lost in a sketchy part of Atlanta with a dead cell phone and literally screaming my head off almost non-stop. So I missed about 30 minutes of her set, and when I finally got there, I kinda lost my shit and cried a bit out of stress/relief/the shock of seeing and hearing my beloved crazy Russian idol in person. I felt just like one of those crazed Beatles fans; I should've fainted to get her attention! Maybe she would have given me a shout out!


But yeah, Regina is basically a goddess. Her voice was flawless; it's even more amazing live than in recordings. She debuted a few new songs, went on a cute little ramble about saving whales, and brought out the Only Son guy to beatbox for Hotel Song.


All in all, I would sell my soul for a lock of that her hair so that maybe I could voodoo some of her talent out of it. Bitch is that good.


It is interesting, however, that some concert-goers at the back of the venue seemed to think they had stumbled into a piano bar with a lounge singer and talked the ENTIRE time. It is also interesting to note that the drunken murmurs magically transformed into obnoxious, out-of-tune singalongery during "Fidelity."


"HEY, I DUN HEARD THIS SONG ON THAT THERE VH1 SHOW! IT BREAKS MY HA-HA-HA-HA-HEAAAAAART, WOOO!!!!"


Here's a tip: If you think you can sing better than the singer you paid to see, you should have saved that ticket money to rent some studio space and record a damn cover album. BUTCHER THE SOUNDTRACK OF MY LIFE ON YOUR OWN TIME.